You miss 100% of the shots you never take, right? Well, when one of my sisters presented me with this offer to join her on vacation, I had to go. I’m so glad I did.
I recently returned from a trip of a lifetime with my sister to Britain and Ireland. We loved it so much. My sister and I spent three weeks touring these beautiful countries on a coach with a tour group. It really was a special time, and I’m blessed that I got the opportunity to do this trip, especially with my sister.
My sister and I haven’t seen each other much in the last several years due to living in different cities for school. Since we both had recently graduated, we thought we would take an adventure before we start the next steps in our lives.
I learned so much on our trip! Here are the top ten lessons I was taught while on vacation:
1. Your attitude controls the situation. You can be in the best or worst place; it’s your attitude that counts. Your experience is what you make it. I chose to be happy! Despite the rain, I choose to shine.
2. It’s the people that make the experience! I think we had the best tour group ever! In fact, I know we did. Our group started off as strangers and ended up as a tour family!
3. You really have to do what you love – it was clear from our tour director and coach driver that they really love what they do. The passion showed in their work.
4. Travel is so important in one’s life. You get out of your comfort zone and go explore. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain
5. Being by the water and dipping your toes in the ocean is essential to your health. My sister and I did this every chance we could Research from the European Centre for Environment and Human Health confirms that relaxing at the water’s edge is more relaxing for your psyche than passing the day in other natural settings.
6. Pictures are the best souvenirs. I was not about collecting knick knacks, I was about collecting mental and camera pictures. My sister and I took almost 3000 pictures combined.
7. Dancing, Smiling, and Laughing are essential aspects to life. They make the adventure fun!
8. Say what you need to say! Life is short. Tell people how you feel about them.
9. Simple things may end up being the most fun. One of my favourite moments of the trip was having a great chat with some other ladies in the steam room at one of our hotels.
10. Persist through the fog and find the sunshine! We had fog or rain many times on the trip, but it didn’t last long.
I’m so glad I took my sister’s offer and came on this trip. Thank you for asking me to join you! Sometimes people (or adventures) come into your life, touch your heart, and your life will never be the same. The friendships I made and the lessons I learned will remain with me always.
Thank you for reading and your presence at this beach retreat. You Rock! I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comment section below.
See you at the beach!